Nov 15, 2021
Posted Under: President's letter
You sneak up on me every time. November is that month when the rush takes full hold of me as I frantically try to finish all my projects for the year. It is also the time when I want to savor the new snow and the impending joy (and, yes, bustle) of the upcoming holidays. Here at Foraker, we have some exciting projects on the verge of launching this month and next. We’re putting the finishing touches on them and look forward to sharing them with you.
For now, though, I want to get a jumpstart on the season by sharing the top five reasons I’m grateful for the nonprofit sector. Let’s call this the Nonprofit Gratitude List.
- No nonprofit gratitude list would be complete without starting with – well – the whole sector. A significant hallmark of a democracy in action is the strength of the nonprofit sector. We play a vital role in the U.S. and across Alaska – every day in every way.
- While we couldn’t exist without our volunteer boards, that doesn’t mean we should ever, ever take them for granted. Board members, thank you. You could be doing so many other things with your free time, but you have chosen to step up for missions and causes that matter. Bravo!
- Three cheers for nonprofit staff. You persevere. You are creative and thoughtful. You get it all done in ways most other humans would never understand. Your commitment to the sector and to your own nonprofit is powerful and inspiring.
- And thanks to all who engage in philanthropy, which literally means love of human kind. What a powerful word to use when we are talking about all the ways that humans show they are deeply invested in missions and causes that matter. We show our love by sharing our time, our talent, and our treasure. November is when we celebrate National Philanthropy Day. I hope you will all give what you can this year. Every gift makes a true difference.
- My list would not be complete without celebrating the power of support, with a special shout out to our team in particular. The Foraker team of staff, consultants, and board members have not missed one step since the pandemic began. Extra time – all the time – our hearts and our heads are in this work. We are honored to walk alongside so many nonprofits and people, especially during these last few years. We could never have imagined this path, but we are thankful to be on it with you.
To that end, for the first time in 20 years we will take off the week of Thanksgiving to refresh and feel renewed to our service. I ask that each of you practice grace with us as we give ourselves space to replenish our energy reserves.
This list is just the beginning. I hope you can carve out a few moments this month to start your own gratitude list. Let’s keep the list going together on Foraker’s social media feeds. We could all use the extra joy about now that comes from allowing ourselves that moment of gratitude.